Funding is now available from the Department of Health and Ageing for the improvement of diagnostic imaging service quality. This includes funding for compliance activities such as participation in the Diagnostic Imaging Accreditation Scheme.
The programme is called the Diagnostic Imaging Quality Practice Program (DIQPP).
All practices with a Location Specific Practice Number (LPSN) that provide radiology and or nuclear medicine services in 2007-08 and that continue to provide those same services in the current financial year are eligible for a grant.
Grants range from $500 to $18,000 depending on the number of diagnostic and or nuclear medicine services provided by a practice in 2007-08.
The Department has stated that:
“With its grant, a practice can choose to invest in a wide range of activities to improve the quality of services. These include:
- Investments in IT systems, e.g., introducing patient management software, or image storage infrastructure;
- Investments in capital infrastructure, e.g., assisting with purchasing new equipment or upgrading current equipment (including computers, monitors, imaging equipment, etc);
- Investment in facilities, e.g., upgrades and refurbishments to patient areas;
- Developing workforce, e.g., up-skilling staff into roles;
- Compliance activities, e.g., participation in the Diagnostic Imaging Accreditation Scheme; preparation of radiation safety plans, equipment compliance activities.
- Or any other activity that improves the quality of services.”
To be eligible for a grant under the programme, LSPN providers need to nominate that they continue to provide radiology and or nuclear medicine services through demonstrating one of the following three activities:
- Participation in the Diagnostic Imaging Accreditation Scheme;
- An intention to participate in the Diagnostic Accreditation Scheme;
- Ineligibility for the Diagnostic Imaging Accreditation Scheme through the provision of nuclear medicine services only.
You can find out more about the programme (including how to apply) by visiting:
There you will find download links for the application forms and the information sheets.