International Day of People with Disability (IDPwD) is a United Nations sanctioned day that aims to promote understanding of people with disability and encourage support for their dignity, rights and well-being.
2013 marks the 21 IDPwD. A calendar of events that are happening around the country is available on the IDPwD website and can be accessed here to find out how and where to join in celebrations.
Emeritus Professor Ron McCallum AO is Patron for this years IDPwD helping to promote activities that are taken to raise awareness of the issues faced by people with disability.
1. Lifetime Achievement Award in Disability
2. Emerging Leaders Award in Disability
3. Excellence in Accessible Communities Award
4. Excellence in Improving Social Participation Award
5. Excellence in Advocacy & Rights Promotion Award
6. Excellence in Improving Employment Opportunities Award
7. Excellence in Improving Personal and Community Support Award
8. Excellence in Improving Education Outcomes Award
9. Excellence in Improving Health and Wellbeing Outcomes
The recipients and finalists were honoured at an event held at Parliament House on Tuesday 26 November.
HDAA acknowledges DSS Disability eNews with thanks for links and information contained in this news item.