The Australian and state and territory governments are working together to develop a new national quality and safeguarding framework for the NDIS.
The consultation paper covers a broad range of activities needed to promote quality services and safeguard people with disability from harm, including developmental (individual capacity building and natural safeguards), preventative and corrective components.
The paper identifies five elements that will have regulatory impact:
1. NDIA provider registration.
2. Systems for handling complaints.
3. Ensuring staff are safe to work with participants.
4. Safeguards for participants who manage their own plans.
5. Reducing and eliminating use of restrictive practices.
You are encouraged to read the consultation paper and provide feedback on this important initative.