Mental Health Services (NSMHS)
HDAA is approved to provide assessments to the National Standards in Mental Health Services. We have provided expert assessments to mental health Services seeking accreditation to the National Standards in Mental Health Standards since 2010.
In 2010 a revised set of mental health service standards were released. These standards can be applied to all mental health services, including government, non-government and private sectors across Australia.
These National Standards for Mental Health Services focus on:
- how services are delivered
- whether they comply with policy directions
- whether they meet expected standards of communication and consent
- whether they have procedures and practices in place to monitor and govern particular areas—especially those which may be associated with
riskto the consumer, or which involve coercive interventions.
They are not intended to apply to services where mental health is not the main focus of care, such as generic community services which support people with a range of disabilities, or generic aged care services.
Mental Health Services Program Details
To inform the implementation of the Standards, a series of implementation guides that more clearly outline the expectations for different sectors and service settings will be developed. The standards can be downloaded here.
There are three guideline documents are aimed at the following service sector groups:
How Mental Health Services Are Assessed
The Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care has released a
HDAA can provide an excel based “Self-Assessment” to the National Standards in Mental Health Services. This self-assessment system creates an improvement action plan which can then be used to plan and monitor your progress with preparation for assessment.
Contact us for a copy of the self-assessment system.
To prepare for an assessment to the National Standards in Mental Health Services we will provide a Service Description form to start to learn about you, what type of mental health service your organisation provides, how and where and to confirm the scope of your assessment.
Resources For Mental Health Services (NSMHS)
Click here to access the Standards and intent of the Framework.
For more information about the scheme requirements, please see:
Additional guideline documents:
- Public mental health services and private hospitals
- Community (non government) organisations
- Private office-based mental health services
- Department of Health resources
- The Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care’s user guide